VLC Media Player
We recommend VLC for Windows and Mac computers, but there are more options below (PotPlayer and Elmedia Player). VLC is free, safe, and has a easy frame-by-frame option. It is important to install the Version 2.2.8 and not update your VLC to the latest version (3.0+) because the frame-by-frame freezes in the newest version. Please follow the steps below:
More Video Players Options for Windows and Mac
For Windows PC:
We have found a new alternative to VLC Media Player called "Potplayer." It is a completely free media player that allows frame-by-frame viewing by pressing “F” (next frame) and “D” (previous frame). Please watch the following quick tutorial video:
PotPlayer Downloading Instructions
- Open Microsoft Edge and type “PotPlayer Download” in the search bar. Click “Enter.”
- Select the first search choice titled “Global PotPlayer.”
- Select “64bit DOWNLOAD”
- You will see a prompt at the bottom of your screen asking what you would like to do with this setup. Select “Run.”
- The flashing shield icon on your taskbar will ask if you would like this application to make changes to your PC. Select “Yes.”
- Confirm your default language.
- Select “Next” on the PotPlayer 64-bit Setup.
- Select “I agree” on the PotPlayer license agreement.
- Select “Next” on Choose Components.
- Decline Additional Software. This is just a default malware protection software that is not needed for PotPlayer.
- Select “Install.” Then, select “Close.”
- If PotPlayer does not automatically open, you can select the PotPlayer icon on your desktop.
PotPlayer Instructions for Viewing ShotKam Videos
- In PotPlayer, click the three-line icon in the bottom right corner to open the Playlist option.
- Select “This PC”
- Double-click the “ShotKam” from the file browser.
- Double-click the ShotKam folder and the dated folders of the shots you wish to view.
PotPlayer Basic Functions
- To pause and play your videos, click the spacebar.
- To go frame-by-frame, use your mouse to click on the video, then the “d” and “f” keys on your keyboard. “D” will move videos one frame backward, while “f” will move one frame forward.
For Apple Mac Computers:
We have found a new alternative to VLC Media Player called "Elmedia Player." It is a completely free media player that allows frame-by-frame viewing by pressing the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard. Please watch the following 2-minute tutorial video: How to Download Elmedia Player
Written steps are below:
1. Go to Elmedia Player's website here: Click here for Elmedia Player
2. Select "Download" (blue button)
3. At the top right corner of your browser window, click on the grey down arrow to see your recent downloads.
4. Double click on "elmediaplayer.dmg"
5. Drag the Elmedia icon (triangles) over to the Applications Folder. This is to permanently save the video player to your Mac computer.
6. Your Applications will automatically open, then double click the new Elmedia Player icon.
7. Find the Elmedia Player icon (two triangles) in the Doc of your computer (bottom of your computer screen), then hold down the Control key and click the icon. Next, select Options > Keep in Dock
How to watch videos with Elmedia Player:
1. Click on "File" in the top left (next to the Apple icon and Elmedia Player text)
2. Click "Open" > Select ShotKam in the left column > SHOTKAM > Dated folders > Select your videos
3. Now click "Open"
4. Once videos are playing, use the spacebar on your keyboard to pause/play. Use the arrows on your keyboard to go frame-by-frame forwards and backwards.
Factory Default Software:
- For 3rd Generation ShotKam: Click here to download the included software from Dropbox. Watch YouTube video tutorials here.
- For 2nd Generation ShotKam: Click here to download the included software for the memory card. Watch YouTube video tutorials here.